Translate

Friday, February 26

Brother, brother, brother

It's 90 minutes before the "cessation of hostilities" goes into effect in Syria. Haven't gotten much sleep in the past few days. So much is riding on what happens in 90 minutes, so much. If you can spare a prayer for Syrians, now is the time. 

A few minutes ago I found myself humming "Brother Brother," recorded by the Isley Brothers in 1972; I went to YouTube to listen. I was surprised to learn from the comment section that the song had been written and recorded by Carole King (in 1971) as a tribute to her severely disabled brother; in the commenter's opinion it was even more beautiful than the version sung by the Isley Brothers (who are actual brothers).          

From the Telegraph's 2012 review of Carole King's autobiography,  A Natural Woman: a Memoir:
In straightforward prose, King tells the story of Carol Klein, the daughter of Eastern European Jewish immigrants in Brooklyn. Her educated and artistically inclined mother and firefighting father gave her confidence in her early years. Things started to go wrong when her younger brother Richard was diagnosed as profoundly deaf and “severely retarded” in 1951 and placed in “a facility suitable for his needs”.
 
Oh, brother, brother, brother
I know you've been layin' back a long time
But I love you like no other
Oh, brother of mine

I've been watching everything you do
And I've been wishing only good for you
All you've got to do is just to want it to
And it's gonna come - it's gonna come to you

Oh, brother, brother, brother
I know you've been hangin' on a long time
But I love you like no other
Oh, brother of mine

You have always been so good to me
And though you didn't always talk to me
There wasn't much my lovin' eyes could not see
And I don't believe you need all your misery

Oh, brother, brother, brother
I know you've been hangin' on a long time
You know I love you like no other
Oh, brother, brother, brother
Talkin' about you, brother

***

Here are both versions





No comments: